What is Vuze?
Vuze, previously known as Azureus, is a Java based bit torrent client which is designed using the Azureus engine. This free software is used to download and transfer files using the BitTorrent protocol. It allows users to publish, distribute original content and earn money from it. High quality content from TV shows, movies, music videos and video games can be shared legally over this proprietary software and this is the primary reason for its popularity. Due to its wide reach the Vuze team has also released Vuze toolbar for all browsers to search any kind of content in its network.
How to uninstall Vuze
If you no longer require Vuze, or if it is generating problems on the system, it is best to uninstall the software. To uninstall Vuze from various platforms, you may perform the following steps:
The best way to uninstall Vuze from any Linux based OS is by running the package manager. This will help you remove any software installed packages. Look for the /.azureus configuration directory and delete the directories that contain azureus.config and Azureus2.jar. At the terminal type:
and then navigate to the directories given below and delete them.
This will completely remove Vuze from a Linux based system.
Deleting Vuze in Mac OS is quite simple. You just have to drag the Azureus icon to the Trash and drop it. Next, delete the /Users/<username>/library/Application Support/Azureus folder.
Installer 4j – As Vuze uses the Install4j installer, it offers a command line option to uninstall Vuze. Here are the steps to use to uninstall Vuze:
- Click Start and go to All Programs.
- Browse to Accessories and right-click on Command Prompt.
- Choose the option Run as administrator.
- At the prompt type C:\Program Files\Vuze\uninstall.exe –q and press Enter.
Here, q stands for quiet or unattended installation.
You can also uninstall Vuze using the Control Panel in Windows. Here are the steps:
- Open Control Panel.
- Click Program and Features or Add and Remove Programs option, this will display a full list of programs installed on the system.
- Select Vuze from the list of programs and click on Uninstall or Change/Remove.
- This will remove the program from the system. Once this is done browse to the following folders and delete all traces of Vuze from them.
- C:\Program Files\Vuze
- C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming (in Windows 7/Vista)
- C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Vuze (in Windows XP)
In Windows, it is usually impossible to ensure complete removal of programs. Many of them leave behind entries in the registry. So, it is recommended that you use a reliable registry tool to clean up the registry after the uninstallation is complete. This will help in removing any left-behind Vuze files.