What is Xmarks?
Xmarks previously known as Foxmarks is a bookmark synchronizing utility that is distributed as an extension or plug-in for web browsers. It is a very unique extension as it can not only synchronize bookmarks between systems, but can also synchronize browsing history, open tabs and passwords for the Firefox browser. Once it became popular with the Firefox browser, it was released for Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Apple Safari browsers also. Xmarks has also been designed for iPhone, iPod and iPad and it is will soon be released for Android based phones.
How to uninstall Xmarks?
Xmarks is a plug-in or extension that is added to a browser. This extension provides functionality to the browser and helps in synchronizing the bookmarks. To uninstall Xmarks follow these steps –
Firefox Browser – This is the first browser for which Foxmarks was released, and the present version of Xmarks was initially released for Firefox only. Firefox is an open source browser and Xmarks takes complete advantage of its core. This is the reason why there is increased functionality for the Firefox version of Xmarks. To disable the extension follow these steps –
- Open Firefox browser and click on Tools menu.
- Choose Add-ons.
- Select Extensions in the options window.
- Browse to Xmarks and click on it.
- Click on the Uninstall button.
- Click OK to confirm the un-installation.
- Restart Firefox browser.
Internet Explorer Browser – Xmarks provides a good amount of functionality to Internet Explorer also. However, if you don’t need it, you can use the following method to remove it:
- Click Start and go to Control Panel.
- Click Program and Features if you have Windows Vista and 7 or Add and Remove Programs if you have Windows XP.
- Select Xmarks Favorites Synchronizer from the list of programs and then click Uninstall
This will remove the installer from the Windows OS. However, if you still see the Xmarks plug-in in Internet Explorer you can disable it by performing the following steps –
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click on Tools.
- Select Manage Add-ons.
- Choose Xmarks from the Toolbars and Extensions window.
- Click on the Disable button at the bottom of the window.
- Close Internet Explorer and restart it.
This will disable the Xmarks plug-in in Internet Explorer.
Safari Browser – Xmarks is designed for the Safari browser on Mac OS and not for Windows. Follow these steps to disable it on the Safari browser on a Mac:
- Open Safari browser .
- Click on Settings on the extreme right of the browser.
- Click on Preferences and from the windows choose Extensions.
- Choose Xmarks and Click on Uninstall.
You can also delete it manually from the Mac OS by following these steps –
- Delete /Library/PreferencePanes/Xmarks.prefPane folder.
- Delete ~/Library/Xmarks from the home directory.
All browsers provide an option of disabling the Xmarks extension completely so that the browser doesn’t use it. You can always disable the Xmarks plug-in instead of uninstalling it completely and enable it only when it is required.
You can also download the Perfect uninstaller software that can uninstall unwanted programs from a Windows system. Perfect uninstaller can not only uninstall the software from the OS, but can also uninstall it from any of the browsers.