The following topics are discussed in detail in this article:
- What is Norton toolbar
- How to remove Norton toolbar from Firefox browser
What is Norton Toolbar?
Norton toolbar was developed by Symantec (makers of Norton Protection Software) to enhance computer security. This application uses data encryption and anti-phishing protection services to protect computer users from malware while they surf the Internet.
Though a useful application, at times, it may force you to uninstall Norton Toolbar from your computer.
You may have to uninstall Norton Toolbar in case this application conflicts with other installed programs on your computer, prevents you from installing software, or does not let you install operating system updates.
If you face issues with Norton toolbar, then you can use the steps listed in this article to remove Norton toolbar from your Firefox browser.
Remove Recent Norton Toolbar Versions (e.g. Norton Toolbar 4.5) From Firefox
If you are using a recent Norton Toolbar version, then perform the following steps to uninstall it:
- Double-click the Firefox icon on your desktop to open its corresponding window.
- Click the Tools menu, and then click Add-ons.
- Click Extensions.
- Select Norton Toolbar.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Restart Firefox browser.
In case the Uninstall button is disabled (Firefox may have locked this option for security purposes), then you need to restart Windows in Safe Mode and perform the aforementioned steps to complete the Norton toolbar uninstall process.
To restart Windows in Safe Mode, perform the following steps:
- Close all the running applications.
- Click Start and then select Restart.
- Press and hold the F8 key as Windows reloads.
- Select the Safe Mode option (using the arrow keys on your keyboard) in the Advanced Windows Boot Option Menu.
- Press Enter to boot Windows in Safe Mode.
After you have removed Norton Toolbar, it is essential that you scan your Windows registry using a piece of reliable registry maintenance software, such as RegGenie, to ensure that all entries related to this application are also removed from your computer.
Remove Older Norton Toolbar Versions (e.g. Norton Toolbar 360 2.0) From Firefox
If you are using an older version of Norton Toolbar, then perform the following steps to uninstall it:
- Close all open Firefox windows.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components.
- Locate and right-click coFFPlgn.dll, and then click Rename.
- Rename the file coFFPlgn.dll.old.
- Open Notepad.
- Click the File menu and then click Save.
- Type coFFPlgn.dll in the File name box.
- Save the file in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\components.
- Click the Save button.
- Restart Windows.