Avast Antivirus is an antimalware application developed by AVAST Software. The program protects your computer from malware programs as well as hackers. In case you have downloaded Avast Antivirus, but are not satisfied with its performance, or wish to upgrade your version of Avast Antivirus, then you can use the steps listed in this article to completely uninstall Avast Antivirus.
How to Uninstall Avast Antivirus using the Add or Remove Programs utility
To remove Avast Antivirus using the Add or Remove Programs utility, perform the steps illustrated below:
- Click the Start menu
- Click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove programs.
- Locate and right-click Avast Antivirus on the list of currently installed programs.
- Click Uninstall
- Follow the on-screen instructions
- Restart your Windows computer
Run Registry Scans After You Uninstall Software
Many times when you uninstall software, some stray entries are left behind in the registry. These left-over and obsolete entries increase the registry size at an uncontrollable rate and make it unstable. That is why it is recommended that you take appropriate steps to ensure that registry entries of the software are also removed when you uninstall the software. The best and easiest method to do this is by using a professional Windows registry cleaning software, such as RegGenie. This program uses advanced algorithms to remove all the unwanted and obsolete entries from the Windows registry, allowing you to maintain a clean and error-free registry.
Cannot Uninstall Avast Antivirus Using Add or Remove Programs: Causes and Solution
You may come across an error when your try to uninstall Avast Antivirus using the Add or Remove programs utility and the software may appear to resist the uninstall process. Typically, this behavior occurs when one of the following conditions hold true:
- The Windows registry is corrupt
- Avast Antivirus did not get installed properly in the first place
- Malware has corrupted one or more files of Avast Antivirus
In such a scenario, you have two options – you may either use the Avast Uninstall Utility or a third-party uninstaller tool to forcefully uninstall Avast Antivirus.
Uninstall Avast Antivirus Using Avast Uninstall Utility
- Download aswClear5.exe from the Avast official website
- Reboot Windows in Safe Mode
- Double-click aswClear5.exe
- Select the folder where Avast is installed (make sure that you select the right folder, as whatever folder you select will be permanently deleted)
- Click on the Uninstall button
- Restart your computer
To restart Windows in Safe Mode, click Restart from the Start menu, press F8 as Windows reloads, select the Safe Mode option in the Windows Advanced Boot Menu, and then press Enter.
Uninstall Avast Antivirus Forcefully Using a Third-Party Uninstaller Tool
You can also use a reliable third-party uninstaller tool, such as Perfect uninstaller to permanently remove Avast Antivirus, in case you are having trouble uninstalling the program with the Add or Remove Programs option.