This article is divided into two sections.
- In the first section, we will discuss how to uninstall Exchange 2007 from a Windows 2003 server using the Exchange Server 2007 Setup Wizard or the Setup.com command.
- In the second section, we will take a look at what you can do to easily uninstall programs that resist uninstallation when you try to remove them by using the Windows built-in uninstaller, Add or Remove Programs.
Section 1 – How to uninstall Exchange 2007
What you need to do before you start uninstalling Exchange 2007
The first thing you need to do is to ensure that the account you use is delegated the Exchange Organization Administrator role. In addition, in case the server from which you are removing Exchange 2007 has the Mailbox server role installed, then ensure that you do either of the following:
- Delete public folders and public folder replicas
- Disable public folders and public folder replicas.
- Move all public folders and public folder replicas to another server.
In case you have installed any Update Rolls for Exchange 2007, use the Windows built-in uninstaller, Add or Remove Programs, to remove Exchange or Exchange Server Roles. Alternatively, you can run Setup.com from the original source files or installation media.
Remove Exchange 2007 using the Exchange Server 2007 Setup wizard
- Log on to the server from which you need to uninstall Exchange 2007 and open the Control Panel window.
- Next, double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- Now, select Microsoft Exchange Server.
- Click Remove.
- Click Next on the Exchange Maintenance Mode page in the Exchange Server 2007 Setup wizard.
- Deselect all the server role check boxes on the Server Role Selection page.
- Deselect the check box before the Management Tools.
- Click Next.
- Click Uninstall on the Readiness Checks page.
- Click Finish.
Remove Exchange 2010 using the Setup.com command
- Log on to the server from which you need to uninstall Exchange 2007 and browse to the directory where you have installed Exchange 2007 (by default, the directory is %programfiles%\Microsoft\Exchange Server)
- Browse to the \bin directory.
- Use the syntax Setup.com /mode:uninstall for Setup.com.
Section 2 – How to forcefully uninstall programs
The best way to remove programs from a Windows computer is by using the Windows built-in uninstaller, Add or Remove Programs. However, at times, you may find that nothing happens after you select the program you wish to remove and click the Remove or Uninstall button in the Add or Remove Programs window.
In such cases, we recommend that you use a professional uninstaller program such as Perfect Uninstaller to forcefully uninstall the program. Perfect Uninstaller offers users a Force Uninstall option that can be used to forcefully uninstall unwanted programs.