HP Product Assistant is a pop-up program that detects any problem that occurs with your HP Products and offers solutions to fix the issue. In addition, HP Product Assistant displays messages about HP offers and products. Although HP Product Assistant is a useful utility, many users are unhappy with the continuous pop-ups that this program displays. If you feel the same way, then the good news is that you can easily remove the program.
In this article, we will cover the following topics:
- How to completely remove HP Product Assistant
- How to successfully disable Solution Updates in HP Product Assistant
How to uninstall HP Product Assistant
To remove HP Product Assistant from your Windows computer, you need to complete the following tasks:
- Remove Shop for HP Supplies
- Remove HP Product Assistant from startup programs
Task 1 – Remove Shop for HP Supplies
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the currently installed programs list, locate and select Shop for HP Supplies.
- Click the Remove button.
- Again, click the Start menu.
- Select All Programs, click HP, highlight Shop for HP Supplies, and then click Uninstall Shop for HP Supplies.
- Next, open Windows Explorer.
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\HP.
- Locate and right-click the HPSUPPLY folder.
- Click Delete.
Task 2 – Remove HP Product Assistant
- Click Start and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type msconfig, and then press Enter.
- Click the Startup tab.
- Deselect HPWuSch2.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
After you remove HP Product Assistant and Shop for HP Supplies, it is imperative that you also remove the registry entries of these programs. When you uninstall a program through Add or Remove Programs, not all of the program’s registry entries are removed.
Editing the registry manually is not recommended for two reasons – first, the registry is a critical component of Windows and serious damage may occur if you delete a valid registry entry. Secondly, manually editing the registry is a time-consuming process.
The best way to delete unwanted entries from your registry is to use a reliable registry maintenance tool such as RegGenie. Simply run a registry scan using RegGenie after you have removed HP Product Assistant and Shop for HP Supplies to ensure all their registry entries are also permanently deleted.
How to disable Solution Updates in HP Product Assistant
A common issue which users face is that when they disable Solution Updates in HP Product Assistant, the preference is not saved, and users continuously receive HP Product Assistant pop-ups.
In case the HP Product Assistant Welcome window is constantly popping up on your screen after you have made an attempt to disable Solution Updates, you can perform the following steps to resolve the issue and disable Solution Updates.
Important: You need to log in with administrative rights to perform the following steps successfully.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type c:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Product Assistant\bin\hprbupdate.exe and press Enter.
- Click the Preferences link.
- Click Disable Solution Updates under Update Interval Preferences.
- Click the Save button.