Years ago, all new Windows XP computers came with Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) installed as the default web browser. In case you want to switch to another web browser and don’t want or need IE6 anymore, then you can easily remove IE6 from your Windows computer using the steps discussed in this article.
In this article, we will discuss two simple methods that you can use to remove IE6.
- Method 1 – Uninstall IE6 using Windows Add or Remove Programs utility
- Method 2 – Uninstall IE6 using setup.exe
It is recommended that you first try to remove IE6 using the first method. Use the second method only when you are unable to uninstall IE6 via Add or Remove Programs.
How to Uninstall IE6
Method 1 – Uninstall IE6 Using Windows Add or Remove Programs Utility
To uninstall IE6 using the Windows Add or Remove Programs utility, perform the following steps:
- Click the Start menu, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon in the Control Panel window.
- Locate and select Internet Explorer 6 in the Add or Remove Programs window.
- Click Uninstall/Remove.
- Click Yes if prompted to confirm your action.
After uninstalling IE6, ensure that all the entries related to this program are also permanently removed from the Windows registry. The best way to do this is by running a registry scan using a piece of reliable Windows registry cleaning software, such as RegGenie. RegGenie is a top-rated registry maintenance software that deeply scans your registry and removes all the unwanted and obsolete entries in a few minutes.
In some cases, IE6 may not get uninstalled with this method. If you face this problem, then use the steps listed in Method 2 to uninstall IE6.
Method 2 – Uninstall IE6 Using setup.exe
First, you need to configure the Folder View option to show hidden files and folders. To do this, perform the following steps:
- Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop.
- Select Properties.
- Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder options.
- Click the View tab in the Folder options.
- Select the Show hidden files, folders, and drives option in the box below Advanced Settings.
Next, perform the following steps to run the setup.exe file of IE6:
- Open Windows Explorer.
- Browse to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup.
- Double-click setup.exe to uninstall IE6 from your computer.
In case this method fails to remove IE6, then you may use an advanced Windows uninstaller program, such as Perfect Uninstaller, to forcefully remove IE6 from your Windows computer.