Internet Explorer is the default web browser for Windows computers. After 2006, Internet Explorer version 7 (IE7) was introduced as the default web browser on all Windows computers.
In case you don’t like using IE7, then you may use the steps mentioned in this article to uninstall IE7 as your default web browser.
How to Uninstall IE7
When you uninstall IE7 from your Windows computer, Internet Explorer version 6 (IE6) is automatically restored on it.
You can remove IE7 by using either of the following methods:
- Uninstall IE7 using Add or Remove Programs.
- Uninstall IE7 using Spuninst.exe.
It is recommended that you first try uninstalling IE7 via the Add or Remove Programs utility. If unsuccessful, then use the second method.
Important: In case you installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) after you installed IE7, then you need to first remove Windows XP SP3 before you can successfully uninstall IE7.
Uninstall IE7 Using Add or Remove Programs
- Click the Start menu, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate and select Windows Internet Explorer 7 in the Add or Remove Programs window.
- Click Uninstall.
Next, verify that IE6 has been restored on your computer. To do this, perform the following steps:
- Click the Start menu, and then click the Run utility.
- Type iexplore in the Open box. This will open Windows Explorer.
- Click the Help menu.
- Click About Internet Explorer, and check the version of Internet Explorer.
In case you are unable to uninstall IE7 using this method, perform the steps listed in the next section.
Uninstall IE7 Using Spuninst.exe
Before you uninstall IE7 using Spuninst.exe, configure the Folder View options to show hidden files and folders. To achieve this, perform the following steps:
- Right-click the My Computer or Computer icon on your desktop.
- Select Properties.
- Click the Tool menu.
- Click Folder Options.
- Select Show hidden files, folders, and drives in the Folder Options dialog box.
- Click Apply, and then click OK.
Next, uninstall IE7 using the Spuninst.exe executable wizard. To do so, perform the following steps:
- Click the Start menu, and then click Run.
- Type %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe in the Open box, and then click the OK button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall IE7 from your computer.
After you uninstall IE7, make sure to check if IE6 has been restored on your computer.
If you can’t uninstall IE7 using the methods discussed in this article, then we recommend you to seek help of a reliable third-party uninstaller tool, such as Perfect Uninstaller. Perfect Uninstaller is an effective, yet easy-to-use Windows uninstaller tool that uninstalls any application installed on your computer, including IE7, within a few minutes. This tool also comes with a Force Uninstall feature through which you can forcefully uninstall unwanted applications from your computer.