What is iTunes?
iTunes is a media player application designed by Apple Inc which is used to play both audio and video files on a system. It is used to manage and backup content from your iPhone, iPod and the iPad. It also has a store feature built into it which helps users buy music, TV shows, games etc.
iTunes is used to sync contents of your iPhone, iPod, and iPad, and all of this is possible because of the common iOS operating system. iTunes is used to burn media files on optical discs. This application is released for both Mac and Windows OS platforms.
How to uninstall iTunes
iTunes can be uninstalled easily from a Windows system, and you can employ these methods to uninstall it –
- Windows Uninstaller
- Windows Installer Cleanup
Windows Uninstaller – You can uninstall iTunes using the uninstaller present in the control panel of windows, as this is included in all versions of the OS. Follow these steps to uninstall iTunes –
- Close iTunes
- Click on Start and go to Control Panel
- Select Program and Features in Win 7/ Vista or Add or Remove Programs in Win XP
- Choose iTunes from the program list and then click on Change/Remove or Uninstall
- Restart the system once done
This will remove the iTunes from the Windows system.
Windows Installer Cleanup – You can use the Windows installer Cleanup to remove all the registry entries related to iTunes. You can download this application from the Microsoft website and follow the simple instructions to install it. You can follow these steps to run this application–
- Click on Start and choose All Programs
- Click on Windows Installer Cleanup
- From the list select iTunes
- Click on Remove
After this is done, close all open windows and iTunes registry entries also will be deleted from the system.
iTunes installs itself into various locations in the Mac OS, and you can follow these steps to uninstall it completely from a Mac OS –
- Open Finder on the system
- Choose Go from the options and choose Applications
- Navigate to iTunes and drag it to Trash
- Now open the Activity monitor and navigate to iTunes Helper
- Click on the Quit process and click Quit again to confirm
- Now go to System Preferences
- Select View and then from the drop down list choose Accounts
- Click on Login Items and look for iTunes Helper then select it
- Press “-“ to delete it and then close the System Preferences Window
- Browse to /System/Library/Extensions and look for AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg file from the list
- Drag it to Trash and remove all the files which has iTunes
- Now close all the windows and restart your system
This process will remove all the files related to iTunes completely.
Other Removal Software – You can download the Perfect Uninstaller software to remove the iTunes application completely from the Windows system. RegGenie is a registry editor software which can be employed to remove the registry entries of iTunes on a Windows system.