What is LimeWire?
LimeWire is an extremely popular peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing client application released for all OS platforms. It was completely designed using Java, and this is the reason it can run on any system which has the Java Virtual Machine.
LimeWire utilizes the Gnutella network and also runs the BitTorrent protocol for file sharing. It has a free with limited features version, and a commercial version with enhanced features. It also connects to the LimeWire Store, which can be used to purchase music online.
How to uninstall LimeWire
LimeWire can be uninstalled from the system using these methods –
- Windows Uninstaller in Control Panel
- Windows Installer Cleanup and Manual Removal
- Third Party Removal Software
Windows Uninstaller in Control Panel – You can uninstall LimeWire using the Windows Uninstaller which is present in all versions of Windows OS. Follow these steps to uninstall-
- Close LimeWire
- Go to Control Panel
- Select Add or Remove Programs in Win XP or Program and Features in Win 7/ Vista
- Choose LimeWire from the list and then click on Uninstall or Change/Remove
- Restart the system
This will remove LimeWire from the system.
Windows Installer Cleanup and Manual Removal– You can use the Windows Installer Cleanup application which will help in removing all the registry entries related to LimeWire. You can download and install this application from the Microsoft website and follow these steps–
- Go to All Programs
- Click on Windows Installer Cleanup application
- From the list select LimeWire
- Click on the Remove button
- Browse to all these folders and delete them
- Now Click on Start and then click on Run and type Regedit
- Browse to these registry entries and delete them if they have not been removed:
Once this is done follow these steps to remove any files or registry entries related to LimeWire –
C:\Program Files\Common Files\limewire
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\internet explorer\menuext\limeshop preferences
This will remove all the registry entries related to LimeWire from the Windows OS.
You can follow these steps to remove LimeWire from Mac OS.
- Click on the Finder icon and then click on the Applications Tab
- Select the LimeWire application and choose the File option on top of the screen
- Choose the option Move to Trash and click OK to confirm it
- Browse to User > Library > Preferences > LimeWire and delete all entries related to LimeWire
- Close all the Windows
This process will completely remove all the files and registry entries related to LimeWire.
Third Party Removal Software –Perfect Uninstaller can be used to uninstall LimeWire completely from the system. If you are not comfortable with manual registry cleaning, you can use the RegGenie software which will remove all the registry entries related to LimeWire.
As files downloaded by P2P applications can be infected with viruses and malware, you can use the StopZilla application to check for these infections.